Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back to my closet...

I know that lately I haven't been keeping true to the meaning and purpose of this blog: fashion. I have cluttered my last 5 or 6 entries with my film productions and HYPE HEADZ performances and news. Although those aspects are important to me and my identity, I intend to keep this blog dedicated to fashion only. If you want to read more about my film experiences and reviews or catch the next HYPE HEADZ party, check out our blog.

Moving on, as much as I love magazines, I am so poor right now that I can't even buy the latest issue of NYLON and WAD. Thanks, Prague! So when I reach low points in my life such as this, I rely on Style.com and my fellow fashion bloggers. However, one of my top fashion blogs, www.stylebytes.net, keeps coming up as FORBIDDEN on my web browser! Someone help me! I really worshipped Agathe's entries and her sense of style, do any of you readers know what happened to her?

I am having trouble figuring out where my fashion sense is leading me. I like too many different styles and silhouettes so much that it is getting harder for me to dress myself these days! I am also very tired of my wardrobe. I've worn everything already to the point that my clothes have lost their novelty. How sad. I don't even know what I want to do with my hair, some days I want to let it grow out and then dye it back to dark brown and other days I want to just cut off all the blonde pieces and start new.

I am still obsessing over Fall 2008 ready-to-wear looks. Fall is a wonderful time to transition yourself. Some people say that Spring is actually the season to start fresh, but with Fall comes a bit of mystery and romance :] Fall and Winter remind me of love-filled days with my boyfriend, and dancing to Billie Holiday in empty parking lots, haha. Oh, high school.

Here are some looks that I really enjoyed and want to try and emulate for the upcoming season:

Vivienne Westwood is a fashion staple. These looks are full of strong prints and great shapes!
Photobucket

Photobucket

I adore the hot pants/tights combo. The sweater helps balance out the whole look so that it doesn't scream "tramp."

Photobucket

This look just goes to show that ripped tights aren't dated back to the early Mary-Kate fashionista days. Paired with a rad metallic trench (HELLO, I have a gold one but not as full as this one), the tights can be removed from the "heroine chic" category. Finally. I hate that term.

Alexander Wang is one of my fave designers because all his looks are so sophisticated and young and detailed.

Photobucket

This look reminds me that I still haven't obtained a tuxedo jacket dress. I love the fabric of the jacket and the leggings, but the shoes are what pulls everything together with their little zippers. Unexpected, I love it.

Photobucket

This is what I mean when I say "detailed." The bag's chain, the furry bag (very Clueless), the high-waisted, scaled leather pants, and the zippered shoes once again.

Photobucket

:E I love, love, LOVE this hooded cape! I want to make some shirts that have hoods like that for Fall.

Lanvin caught my shiny-lovin eye:

Photobucket

I used to think shrugs and cropped jackets were for middle school girls who like to wear bright, large-beaded jewelery and carry small little Coach bags. Then I saw this one. This gold-plated shrug showed me how something so juvenile could mature.

Photobucket

And do I really have to explain why I love this dress? Gold. Shiny. I wish I could wear this on my birthday.


There is a definite clash between the minimal and gaudy. Both are very attractive to me and I feel like I shouldn't limit myself to just one style. Getting dressed every morning, for me, is like playing dress up. Who do I want to be today? What is the mood of the party and how should I dress for it? There was a period of time where my friend, James, and I would dress up in gothic ensembles each weekend. I loved it and I still do, but more exciting things are coming about. I am finding myself more and more attracted to body-hugging, high-waisted pencil skirts, like the Moschino one I wore at Beauty Bar a couple of weeks ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Wren- an up and coming designer with very simplistic colors but really strong shapes.

I need more shoes. My sister insists on still wearing my gold wing tips I bought last year even though they are falling apart. It's really sad because I really loved those shoes and I wish I had taken better care of them, but there comes a time when you have to let go of ratty shoes. I got these really rad sandals from H&M while in Prague, but walking on the cobblestone over there totally scuffed up the heels. Other than that, they are my favorite pair of shoes at the moment!

Well, I think that's all I have for now. I hope I can keep this blog from straying! But before I give up on posting non-fashion related things:

Photobucket

I will be mixing visuals at King Louie's T-shirt release party this Saturday @ Beauty Bar. James is hosting. So if you can, come out and check it out!

XOXO
Shiny Kid

4 comments:

Samantha said...

god, caitlin, why don't we talk more about fashion in person? those lanvin and a. wang collections were two of my favorites this season. but when don't alber and alex impress? did you know that those pants zip all the way around to the other side for "easy access"??? gosh.

Najva Sol said...

Hey pretty. just check your blog and love(!) the fashion.

I'm the one with the glittery cap from prague.

I'm adding you to my blogfeed!

Your life seems rad. Do it up.

Shiny Kid said...

samantha:
haha i feel weird talking straight fashion to people in person, i've done it a couple of times at parties and afterwards i just think to myself, "wow, did i really just ramble off all that info???"

najy:
aiee! i loved yr hat! i still have to get yr pic from my friend's camera to post :] thanks a lot!

roxanne said...

i know exactly what you mean about sticking to fashion on fashion blogs. i finally surrendered to the deluge of non fashion-related fashion ideas swirling about my brain and created another blog, as well.

i'm sorry to tell you that stylebytes has sadly been out of commission for a few months now. i mourn along with you, m'lady.

i absolutely loved the alexander wang collection. i'm attempting to channel that streamlined, minimalist sort of sophistication this fall with subtle unraveling elements: ripped tights, unexpected statement jewelry, ugly/beautiful bags and shoes.. we'll see how it turns out.

looking forward to your next posts!